Thursday, March 02, 2006

Discovering Cash

I didn't know very much about Johnny Cash before watching "Walk the Line" last night. Now I want to know everything about this legend. This film is fantastic with performances that are nothing less than legendary by Phoenix and Witherspoon.

Forget the love story (it is a powerful story), it's the music that drives this picture, or maybe the promise of it. We get to see Cash scrap his way to the top. The scene that stands out for me is his first show on his first tour and the band breaking into "Get Rhythm," one of his earliest rockabilly hits. Cash's music is so incredibly easy to get into because its so simple and honest.

About a month ago, I picked up the Essential Johnny Cash for $.99 at a local cd shop as a prep as I knew I would want to see this movie when it came out. Best 99 cents I ever spent. Cash was the man and I am honoring him by wearing black for the rest of my life.

No comments: