Wednesday, January 17, 2007

trade and the truth

When I was left leaning John Stossel made my blood boil. No longer as he takes head on the hand wringing of trade protectionists in a new piece here, courtesy of realclearpolitics.com, my favorite part:

"Then I thought about my local supermarket. I buy stuff from the Food Emporium every week. I spend thousands of dollars a year there. But the supermarket never buys anything from me. Not one thing. And yet that is no problem. It's better than no problem -- it's fantastic! Imagine if I could only buy from the store to the extent that it needed my services. I'd starve. That would be barter, and mankind dumped barter for the money economy eons ago precisely because it is so inconvenient."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The US economic system of modified free capitalism is nearly a perfect system until it trades with other countries who are not economically similar. There is not a level playing field when US consumers purchase products from foreign companies. Foreign companies do not have the restrictions of labor laws and are often subsidized by their own governments. We need trade restrictions in place to balance the playing field. We need tariffs on products to handicap foreign companies who compete with domestic companies. Unfortunately, tariffs are poorly negotiated as a foreign relations tool. Ultimately, tariffs should be the product of an economic decision and not the product of extortion negotiated by undemocratic and non-capitalistic regimes.